Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Taiwanese vs Me

Taiwanese habits vs my (possibly American) habits that I've noticed.

Cell Phones
TAIWANESE. lives depend on their cell phone or something. A phone is never on silent. And they pick up their cell phones no matter where they are. Students pick up their cell phones in class and either whisper their conversation or simply leave the classroom to talk. My friend told me that his professor even stopped mid-lecture to pick up his cell phone. I remember two years ago I went to watch a movie with a friend and his cell phone rang during the movie and he picked it up too. Granted the theater was big and no one was sitting around us but still. What's up with that?

ME/AMERICANS. silent their phones when they are doing something that shouldn't be interrupted. We silent our phones for class, dates, meetings, etc. And if our phone does happen to ring or we happen to forget to silent our phones, we apologize profusely, look super embarrassed, and immediately stop the call and either turn off our phones or silent them. It's our way to respect those around us so that we don't cause a distraction.

I silent my phone for class, movies, club meetings, etc. Wonder if that's a bad thing for here because people here also don't leave messages. So if I receive a phone call from an unknown person (which I did yesterday) while my phone is silent I won't know who called me.

Walking Speed
TAIWANESE. walk soooooooooooooooo slow. and not only that, they all like walking in the middle of the path so it's not like fast walkers can even like pass them.

I. walk super fast. I've always been a fast walker since I walk pretty much everywhere (to school, to class, for food) in the US. Do you know how frustrating it is to walk behind a super slow person? I don't know how to walk slow! LoL. When Dan and I went on our club outing we like lost the other club members because we walked waaaaay too fast. Haha.

Personal Space
TAIWANESE. the concept of personal space does not exist. People squeeze and push and everything to get what they want. Yet they have a problem with physical contact. Doesn't really make sense.

ME. after coming to Taiwan some much and interning here [hence taking public transportation during rush hour], I have become used to this. Basically, if you shove me, I will shove you right back. xP

No comments: